Do you love seeing clever felt letter board signs all over your Instagram and Pinterest feed? But, maybe you’re not sure how to make it work in your own home? I’ve got you covered with these 8 simple letter board ideas!
Felt letter boards are my favorite. We have one that tends to float around our house a bit. Nothing makes me happier than playing around with a funny or sarcastic quote and waiting to see when Corey will notice. They add so much personality to a room! And, they’re such a fun and simple way to change up your decor to match your mood.
I get a ton of questions about our letter board on a regular basis (if you’re curious, this is the one we have). And, these tips on using a letter board continues to be one of my most visited posts. But, I have talked to a lot of friends in real life who say they love the idea of a letter board but they’d never buy one. Why? Because they don’t have any idea how to actually use it in their home.
So, I thought it’d be fun to share a few ideas for how to use your letter board other than sarcastic quotes.
I mean, you know I’m a big fan of the hilarious letter board quote. But, if you need an extra reason to snag a letter board of your own, here are a few more ways that you could use it.
8 Creative Letter Board Ideas
- As a note to guests. Sometimes people leave little notes in guest rooms with the wi-fi password or location of the extra towels. If you want to make it a little cuter, just hang your letter board in a spot where your guests are sure to see it. Then, go to town! You can let them know where to find important things. Or, that you’re happy to see them. Or, of course, anything else they might need to know while they’re staying with you. As a bonus, if you don’t have guests coming, it’s super easy to switch it out for something a little more neutral!
- As a simple prop for photo shoots. If you’re a parent who is constantly snapping photos of your kids (and really, who isn’t?), a letter board is a great way to add a little something fun to the photos. And it doesn’t take a lot of extra effort. You can document a funny thing your kid said or a sweet saying that sums up this stage in their lives. Or, just a humorous quote to capture the insanity of living with kids! You can get really creative with it. And, letter boards are such a fun way to add a little something extra to your photos.
- For milestone photographs. We all love taking that oh-so-important first day of school photograph, or a series of photographs to document our kiddos’ growth. Instead of messing with making a sign or editing the photo, just grab your letter board and write out your milestone right there. It looks adorable and it much easier than a lot of the alternative options. Plus, it provides a great size reference to see how quickly your child is growing!
- As a dinner menu. It can get old to have to hear the question “what’s for dinner?” 17 times a day every single day. If you’re a meal planner, you can use your letter board to jot down what your dinners will be throughout the week. Then, you can just direct your family to the board when they ask. Saves you a little bit of sanity, and it’s a pretty adorable way to display your menu!
- As a little reminder to yourself. I read my letter board every time I walk past it. That means it’s a great opportunity for me to send a little subliminal message to myself. Whether you’re trying to eat healthier, be more active, or have more patience in your day-to-day life, you can add a cute quote to remind yourself of your goals. It’s a shockingly simple way to help you keep the things you’re working towards at the forefront of your mind. And, it’s pretty darn effective since you see it so often!
- As seasonal decor. One of my favorite ways to add some quick fun to my home for any holiday is by switching up the letter board with a holiday-related quote. It seems like an obvious thing to do, but if you’re anything like me, it’s easy to fall into a rut with the letter board and just leave a favorite quote up all the time. But it only takes a few minutes to switch it up! So, why not play around with it for every fun little holiday that comes around? I mean, I personally think National Donut Day deserves its own letter board quote. Don’t you?
- As a countdown. If you have kids then you’ll know they love to count down to things. I must be a big kid myself because nothing makes me happier than a good Christmas or birthday countdown. If you have a fun event or trip your family is looking forward to, throw it up on the letter board and let your kids change the numbers out every day. Counting down activities is a great way to practice some number skills. And it’ll help get everyone excited about whatever you have coming up!
- As a place to leave love notes. Sometimes I like to switch our letter board over to a sweet note for Corey and not mention anything. It’s fun to see how long it takes him to notice. If your kids are old enough, you could write little notes to them, too. Or, you could even encourage them to write notes to other people in the family. You can get everyone engaged in the fun and, as an added bonus, it’s gonna make someone smile!
Regardless of how you use them, letter boards are such a fun addition to your home, and I promise you won’t regret getting one. I try switch mine up weekly. It’s such a fun way to add a little bit of creativity to our home.
Plus, I’ll take any excuse I can to add a little sass to my house, too.